10 facts you probably didn’t know about ICE CREAM
Yesterday, people have celebrated one of the most anticipated holidays in the history — National Ice cream Day. In 1984, Former President Ronald Reagan declared July as National Ice cream month and the third Sunday of it as the National Ice Cream Day. It is said that the late president recognized the popular dessert as a wholesome and nutritious food that is enjoyed by over 90% of the people in the United States. It was only proclaimed in the US but due to the deliciousness and popularity of ice cream, some countries also joined in the celebration including us, in Philippines.
So, you love ice cream but how depth is your knowledge about it?
Let me share these facts that you probably didn’t know about this all-time favorite dessert.
Did you know?
- It was the Chinese who created the first concept of ice cream. It is believed that ice cream were originated on the idea of a simple dish of rice mixed with milk that was frozen due to being packed with snow. They are also said to be the men behind the invention of the first ice cream machine.
- The first introduction of ice cream in America appeared in 1744. It was then followed by its first advertisement which appeared in New York Gazette back in 1777.
- It was in 1851 when the first ice cream plant is opened. A milk dealer named Jacob Fussell became a successful businessman when he built an ice cream factory in Pennsylvania.
- The tallest ice cream cone was achieved by Mirco Della Vecchia and Andrea Andrighetti. The cone is too tall having the measurement of 2.81m (9 ft 2.63 in) in height. The tallest cone got it to the Guinness World Record and is still unbeaten. By the way, the traditional waffle cone that we got used to made its debut back in 1904 at the World’s Fair in St. Louis, Missouri.
- In celebration for WWII victory, Americans ate more than 20 quarts of ice cream per person.
- Ice cream was once known as ‘cream ice’. It was King Charles I of England who was one of those people who once called ice cream as cream ice.
- New Zealand is the biggest consumers of ice cream in the world ahead of Australia and the USA.
- It takes 3 gallons of milk to make 1 gallon of ice cream.
- “Brain freeze” occurs only when ice cream touches the roof of your mouth
- According to several sources, it takes about 50 licks to consume a single scoop of ice cream.
“Life is like an ice cream. Enjoy it before it melts.”
I Scream, u Scream, V all scream for ICE CREAMs